Friday, July 10, 2009

the Fuji

I had not attempted to paint a still life for a while, so I went to the fridge and pulled out a Fuji. The best apples ever! I set it out and put a light on it and then the fun begins. I still consider myself a beginner painter. If you look closely, you can see my little training wheels are still attached. I made some panels a long time ago that are gessoed and gray, and I used one of them for this. I am still figuring out materials. Sometimes I like the smooth boards... sometimes I want the bite of canvas. Can't decide.

The hard part of painting this apple was that it wasn't all red. It was a combo of red and green. So the problem was not just painting a round red apple... but an apple with color changes AND the light falling on it. Tough. I got some things that I liked, but as usual, at some point I ended up messing them up. This is par for me. : ) The shadow was much better at one point, but I messed with it and when I got tired of painting, I just left it and called it a day.

No comments: